What are custom insoles?
Custom insoles are foot wear insoles which are specially made just for you and your feet. They are designed to improve foot function and help correct misalignment of the musculoskeletal system. There are many insoles on the market today, many of which are stock items which are designed to fit an average foot. Some are sold as customisable insoles but these are not to be confused with orthotic custom insoles which are individually made to order.
Shoes are usually supplied with a basic insole for your comfort and to prevent wear to the shoe internally. Retailers often sell insoles which claim to help your feet and these claims may be true, but there is only so much a generic insole may do to aid in foot function. Custom made insoles typically exceed the performance capabilities of stock insoles because they are made according to the shape and form of the individual foot.
Who should use custom insoles?
We feel everyone would benefit from and should consider using precision made custom insoles and especially if you:
- Have flat feet
- Have an injury where insoles may help improve recovery
- Want to prevent injury where improved foot function may off set the risk
- Are suffering from a foot related health condition
- Are suffering from condition which would be aided by better foot function and balance (e.g. knee, hip or back pain)
- Are serious about your health and performance of your whole body
- Are looking to improve your athletic or sporting performance
- Are active and on your feet for most of the day
- Have a profession which mean you are on your feet a lot
- Are looking to improve your stamina and comfort
- Are pregnant (as your musculo-skeletal system changes due to hormones)
- Have been pregnant (to aid in recovery of soft tissue changes caused by hormones)
- If you have diabetes
- Like feeling comfortable underfoot!
Why order Lakeland custom insoles?
At Lakeland we specialise in making precision custom made bespoke insoles. We run a private and NHS clinic too where our orthotist regularly fits our custom insoles. Our insoles are made by a skilled team of technicians led by Mark Smith, a highly competent Orthotic Technician and Limited Fitter with over 25 years of experience. We produce to the NHS industry standard to ISO level and we label our insoles for traceability and quality control and assurance.
You can be assured our custom insoles are produced to the highest possible industry standard. They are as unique as the individual who wears them and this results in significantly higher performance and benefits to the wearer.
What are the benefits to using custom insoles?
The benefits of using custom insoles include:
- relief from pain (in the foot, knee, hip and back)
- increased comfort and stride
- provides support to weak feet
- prevents or halts the development of foot deformity
- provides better positioning of the foot
- relieves pressure for certain areas of the foot
- improves pelvic alignment
- reduces limb and knee stress
- increases function of the foot, limb, pelvis and spinal column
- improved athletic performance
- increased stamina
- prophylactical use to aid foot function and health
What conditions and symptoms do custom insoles help with?
Custom insoles are useful for the following conditions and symptoms:
- heel spurs
- fore foot pain (metatarsalgia)
- heel pain (plantar fasciitis)
- Sever’s (paediatric heel pain)
- ankle pain (tibialis dysfunction/lateral impingement syndrome)
- shin pain (compartmental syndrome/shin splints)
- knee pain (patellofemoral pain syndrome, patella tibial syndrome)
- flat feet
- limb length discrepancy
- referred pain and musculo-skeletal problems resulting from weak feet and limb discrepancies
Flat footedness is becoming more prevalent and is certainly the condition most commonly treated with the use of insoles.
At Lakeland Orthotics we appreciate a holistic approach. Symptoms or diseases which can be aided by the use of custom insoles may also benefit from a whole body approach. We recommend you discuss your condition or concerns with a suitably qualified professional.
Custom Insoles in the workplace and the benefits to employers and employees
There are significant benefits for employers who provide custom insoles to their workforce and these benefits may be experienced in office environments as well as workshops, warehouses and construction sites for example. Typical benefits may include:
- A more comfortable and happier workforce
- Increased productivity
- less sickness
- less injuries
- a quicker return to work following recumbency
- increased profitability
- happier shareholders
- less accidents or health and safety incidents
Contact us today to learn about availability of our mobile orthotics clinic where we provide individual consultation to employees at your workplace, with minimum disruption to production and maximum return on your investment in your people!
Want to learn more?
We have a very comprehensive FAQ page and a page on How To Order Custom Insoles. We also have a download page where you can view and download the following documents:
- Custom Insole Order Form for consumers
- Custom Insole Order Form for Professionals
- Foot Impression Instructions for Consumers
- Foot Impression Instructions for Professionals
- Instructions On Using Lakeland Custom Insoles
Please also contact us today to learn more about Lakeland Custom Insoles and how we may help you.